- Total tuition cost: $1,975.00.
- A non-refundable $500 deposit is due no later than October 1, 2019. Full tuition is due no later than January 1, 2020. Please check out the volunteer tuition page for details on tuition payments.
- UPDATE!!! All Indiana travelers will be flying out of Indianapolis again! We are currently working on obtaining a room block at a convenient area hotel. Check back for details later.
- The key to this trip is to be flexible. The best laid plans are often changed along the way; Relax, go with the flow, and have fun. We have wonderful hosts while in Honduras.
- Honduras is on Central Standard Time (CST); 1 hour behind Fort Wayne. You will quickly learn Honduran Standard Time (HST), meaning do not count on punctuality (again, go with the flow). Once you get used to it, it really is quite relaxing.
- Each traveler will be responsible for one checked bag (for personal gear) and some travelers may be asked to also handle one checked bag for dental supplies. All baggage is included in your tuition fee. You are also allowed a carry-on bag and personal item. You will be responsible for any fees for your checked bag if it exceeds the standard weight limit of 50 pounds.
- Sonrisas Siempre ID tags will be placed on all bags to easily mark bags and help get through customs. These will be distributed at the hotel in Chicago after check-in.
- Make three (3) copies of your passport and birth certificate. Bring two (2) copies of each with you; one (1) should be kept on your person at all times and one (1) will be collected by Ian to be kept securely. Keep the third copy at home with your emergency contact.
- Conservative shorts may be worn in Honduras; scrubs are great at the Clinic.
- Bring snacks with you (granola bars, protein bars, trail mix packets, etc.); you will get hungry during the day. Bottled water is provided in the Clinic, but not always in the mountains; you may take some with you from the Clinic. It is a good idea to bring a self-identified reusable water bottle to refill throughout the day. Breakfast and lunch is provided and included in your tuition.
- We are staying at La Posada de mi Viejo with our wonderful hosts Byron and Karla.
- Patient screenings will take place on Saturday or Sunday while the rest of the Sonrisas Crew cleans, sets up, and prepares the Clinic for operation.
- We will have Sonrisas Siempre wrist bands as giveaways for the kids. We will also have toys/games.
- The only recommended immunization needed is a current Tetanus Shot. We are not there at the buggy time of the year. However, the Malaria vaccine is recommended but is not required. Consult your physician or your local Department of Health if you have any questions or concerns.
- Both the hotel and Lion’s Club compound are very safe – gated and guarded by soldiers. We have been assured that Comayagua is unaffected by the travel advisory. We fly into Tegucigalpa and take a bus to Comayagua. We have door-to-door transportation arranged for the entire trip.
- The town is safe during the day. The will be NO venturing out on your own at any time, and we will ALWAYS stay together in groups with a Honduran host or one of the trip leaders.
- Bring money for souvenirs.
- You do not need to exchange money ahead of time. We will do this at the hotel in Honduras after check-in.
- There are some really neat carved wooden trunks you can bring back as a piece of luggage if you can stuff your clothes, belongings, and collapsible suitcase inside.
- The departure tax is $40.00/person, which must be paid in cash. This is collected up front by Ian to make sure we have this when we are ready to leave.
- Everyone is strongly encouraged to take pictures & video — In addition to our other critical roles, we all become photographers & bloggers during the trip. We will share with each other once we return to the United States.Please forward any photographs you would like to see added to the website to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- International Phone/Data Plans: Do not assume there will always be public Wi-Fi available. You are welcome to check with your wireless mobile carrier for international phone/data plans. Keep in mind, you will likely find international fees and charges on your next monthly statement if you use your phone without an international phone or data plan. However, many enjoy being disconnected for a week. There is Wi-Fi available at the hotel in Honduras, but it can be spotty, especially with everyone logging on at the same time. Many turn off their cellular data set their phone to airplane mode with Wi-Fi capabilities. You can also download WhatsApp for free – it’s a free messaging app and uses your phone’s internet connection.
- Debit & Credit Cards: It is strongly recommended you place a travel advisory on your bank cards and credit cards to monitor any potential fraud or suspicious activity (even if you do not plan on using them).
- NOT INCLUDED IN TUITION COST:
- Hotel in Indianapolis (1 night)– price TBD
- Souvenirs – recommended $100-150 USD; exchange at hotel in Honduras
- Tips – recommended 20% just like in the United States
- Departure Tax – $40 USD/person
- 5 of 7 Meals – estimated $10.00 – $15.00 USD each meal (don’t forget to tip)
- Hotel Room Charges – Each person is responsible for his or her own hotel room charges for the week, which may include but are not limited to beverage purchases (i.e. water, soda, wine, beer, etc.), laundry services, 1-2 dinners, and room service purchases.
- NOTE: You can use some bank cards and/or credit cards, but you may incur a foreign transaction fee – check with your financial institution for details.
Hotel La Posada de mi Viejo – Click Here
7a Calle SE
Barrio San Sebastian
Frente a Iglesia San Sebastian